This week’s featured employee is Steven McCoy. Steven is a Web Developer with Corporate Communications. Steven is responsible for the technical planning, maintenance and programming for a variety of websites (including our redesigned Corporate site) and other web-based applications.
- What is the first thing that you do when you get to work? I usually get to work at least 15 minutes early. I like to get my headphones on, and coffee-in-hand, I immediately start multi-tasking: verifying server and script logs, making sure my computer backed up properly the night before, and cleaning up my inbox.
- What do you like most about your job at CBC/Radio-Canada? I like that my job allows me to combine my skills with those of many other talented people, to complete a variety of interesting and challenging projects
- What is the natural talent you’d like to be gifted with? I would like to be gifted with the talent of graphic design. I often have great ideas in my head, and no way of bringing them to life.
- What do you appreciate the most in your friends? The value I appreciate most in my friends is their integrity. I love being among people who can remain true to their character, without necessarily being static or predictable.
- What is your favourite food and drink? My favourite food is pad thai, and my favourite drink is coffee.
- What is your greatest achievement? I always tend to look at my most recent accomplishments, and compare them against what I would have been able to accomplish a year, two years, five years, or ten years ago. Combined with the fact that I always set new challenges for myself, I often tend to feel that my greatest achievement is my most recent one. That said, my answer today would be having re-developed my life’s work from the ground up, in order to build the new CBC/Radio-Canada corporate website, on a custom content-management system that allows our team to administer the site via the web.
- What is your favourite journey? Anything that opens my eyes. Whether I am thousands of kilometres away, flying over the Caribbean, or skateboarding through a familiar neighbourhood but noticing things for the first time, I am reminded that a journey is ultimately a state of mind.
- What is your greatest extravagance? Electronics and electronic music – for sure.
- What advice/tips would you give a student who wanted to follow in your footsteps and have a similar career? My advice would be to never stop learning. The technology industry is ever-changing, and such a fast pace. It’s important to not get comfortable with whatever amount of knowledge, expertise or tools one may have in their repertoire, because there’s always more to know. Staying current is also a great way to find new and easier ways of doing many everyday tasks.
A big thank you to Steven for sharing with us! If you have questions for Steven you can post them below.
-Sarah Lue, Blog host